Monday, July 2, 2007

Spotlight of the Day: Shevy Smith


Today's Spotlight of the Day features a young upcoming country singer just trying to make her dream come true. After her high school graduation, 23-year-old Shevy Smith took her music and her dog, Vivianne, on the road. She happened to perform twice at my college the past two years so I included the articles I wrote after interviewing her and watching the performances. The first article was in 2005 and the second was in 2006. Then check out her music at ShevySmith.com! Once there you can find special music selections, lyrics, updated information, and tour dates, as well as some of Shevy's own thoughts! You'll love her music, trust me!

2005 Article

Most songwriters never reach their lifelong dream, constantly being told they are pursuing a pipe dream. But 21-year-old songsmith Shevy Smith is living hers everyday.

"I've been singing my whole life," Smith said. "I started piano when I was four and learned to play it while I was reading."
With an acoustic pop rock style and a hint of country flair, Smith continued her nationwide college tour Wednesday.

Originally from central Kansas in a town called Haven, Smith grew up on a farm before moving to Tennessee at 18.

"I was about 15 when I started performing at places and really taking it seriously," Smith said.

Though music played an important role in her life, Smith said she was not raised as a child performer. "I thought I would be more of an athlete," she explained. "I wanted to be a professional water skier or play college basketball."

"A music teacher told me in fifth grade, you could do something with this if you would want to," Smith added. Smith said winning high school talent shows gave her the idea to test her guitar skills and create her own music. At the age of 16, Smith said a producer from New York noticed her unique talent and she began working sessions there. After being sent to Nashville, she signed a publishing deal to write songs.

"I've been at that for about three and half years," she explained. "That was pretty much my dream job right out of the shoot."

"Last year, I was approached by some people who work with an independent label and wanted to make a record and I said yes," Smith explained.

Smith said she receives inspiration for writing songs such as "Blue print" and "Red Rock Road" from personal experiences.

"I think that the more personal they are, the more universal they are as well. If it makes sense to me and it's something I think other people are feeling too, that's one of the greatest discoveries I've made in all of this," Smith explained.

While on stage Wednesday, Smith explained to her audience the emotions she felt of hearing about her parents' divorce. Through her frustration and disappointment, Smith became motivated to write a song called "Debris."
Smith said the moment someone tells her that her songs reflect their feelings she feels the greatest sense of accomplishment.

When asked who her role models are, Smith said, "everybody always asks me my influences, so I like role models."

"I have two Toms in my life. I really, really admire Tom Petty and I love Tom Brokaw," Smith said. "Somewhere in the middle is exactly where I'd like to be myself. They both are so respected in what they do and they have a class about them that I love," Smith continued.

Other idols include Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt, who continue to be major influences in shaping Smith's musical career.

According to Smith, she is the "queen of listing goals." "I have daily goals, and I have lifetime goals. I want to do a major label record, I want to be on commercial radio and I would love to work with some of my heroes at some point," Smith explained. "I have other goals, too, like to surf and go sky-diving, things that are not musical at all," she added.

On the road for nearly 27 days each month, Smith said her yellow Labrador named Vivianne keeps her company. The support for her back at home continues to encourage her to follow her passion for singing.

'There's an underlying support there that's undeniable. They look at me and know that I'm doing exactly what I should be doing," Smith said.

One of the largest goals the young songwriter holds is to experience college.

"I definitely plan on doing college later on. I don't think it will probably be in the music side of things. I'm getting my education in that daily," Smith said. "I would love to study philosophy or political theory, something that broadens your
knowledge scope," Smith added.

Smith said her greatest fear in life, aside from snakes, is mediocrity.

"I definitely find that the most worthwhile things in the world, people either love them or hate them. There's usually not a lot of apathy involved in the truly greater things in life, Smith explained.

"So whether it's a song, whether it's a show or a piece of clothing, mediocrity is definitely my biggest fear," she continued.

Smith said a Bruce Springsteen quote holds a significant impact in her life because it encourages her to consistently see herself in her audience.

"But it's more important if you're audience can look at you and see themselves. I think there's so much truth to that. A lot of times when you see people become major stars and they sort of flop, it's because they've stopped seeing themselves in their fans, Smith explained.

"I think it's good advice for non-musicians, for humans and going through life," she continued. "If you can see that person behind the counter as yourself, you'll definitely act in a more appropriate way."

"As long as you can keep some sort of perspective and grounding through it all, I think that's probably a good piece of advice," Smith added.

A Year Later in 2006....

After years of diligence and grinding agendas, Shevy Smith has finally reached a significant milestone in her musical career.

Gracing the stage with her undeniable calm presence, the singer/songwriter strummed the strings on her guitar, replaying songs from her earlier album, "Blueprint," as well as showcasing new songs from her upcoming album, "September Songs."

"I started playing piano at the age of four and guitar when I was 13. I've always been creative with writing and drawing so it was a natural progression into music. By the time I was 15, I was into performing pretty hard," Smith said.

During her previous performance on campus in 2005, Smith was 21 and focused on introducing her earlier songs to new audiences. Now, 23, Smith has stepped up both vocally and independently.

"I think with age comes wisdom and experience and hopefully I've gotten a lot better. Playing over 200 shows is similar to shooting free throws with your eyes closed. Eventually you are going to improve.

"At this point, I feel very comfortable wherever I play," she said. "I've also gotten a lot tougher and have learned what to let roll off my back," she continued.

"I think you just even out. We all get a little emotional, but hopefully just not too bent out of shape."

Originally from central Kansas in the town of Haven, Smith grew up on a farm before moving to Tennessee at age 18. Growing up listening to the words of Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt, Smith said she still holds onto her current inspirations, including Tom Petty, Sheryl Crow and the Ginn Blossoms.

While on stage Wednesday, Smith enlightened the audience of her recent experience playing at Country Thunder, a summer music fest in Wisconsin, alongside Phil Vassar, who has recently been working in the studio with her. Smith said a lot of her music influences are derived from the mid-70s rock era.

Students attending the performance enjoyed the show and were impressed with her musical experience.

"It was great that she got the opportunity to sing and work with a bigger name, such as Phil Vasser," Rachel, a sophomore elementary education major, said. "Hopefully, we'll be seeing her go big soon."

After touring for nearly two years and writing new material, Smith said she is ready to take the music world by storm.

"There's been a lot of changes in the past couple years. When you get to know what works for you, how your voice sounds and draw your influences in, somewhere along the way you fall into what you are," Smith said.

"I know my voice more than I ever have before. As far as musically, I'm talking to a lot of the bigger records. We're stepping up the game, getting a ton of work and playing a ton of gigs. That's a pretty singular goal for me, so everything in my life is geared to this one thing," she added.

Whether or not one witnessed Smith's performance yesterday, it is obvious there is a difference between her style and those on reality shows, such as American Idol.

"Reality shows get into a lot of competition and it starts to become all about winning a contest. You basically sing anything to help you win, instead of moving people with what you have to say," Smith said.

"Music competitions have different performers. It's very important for me to have control over what I am singing since I write my own music. I think performing is all about honesty and what you feel so that you can materialize it so others can relate to it as well," she continued.

Her new album, "September Songs," is due out Sept. 26 and is comprised of new flair inspired by all of the schools she has visited and the people she has met.

"I'm excited to share this new album with everyone. I hope they all notice that there is something real and different to it," Smith said.

New songs include a moving piece called "Angel With Shoes," "Heavy Rotation," "September Song" and "Homespun."

With strong guitar chords and a fast-paced beat, "Heavy Rotation" details the impact one may have on another.

During her performance Smith said she wrote "September Song" after experiencing many torrid relationships during the summer.

"It's all about the memories you have with these people and then you realize that once the summer is over, you have to go back to what you were doing before," Smith said.

Smith said she and a friend spent a day together pondering about how they felt about their Kansas roots and finally penned a song called "Homespun" that reflected the thought process and their inner emotions.

Those interested in learning more about Smith can visit her Web site at shevysmith.com and check out information on music tracks, lyrics, tour dates and diary entries.

Select songs can be downloaded at her main site as well as at her myspace account at myspace.com/shevysmith.

In the future, Smith said she would love to work with a bigger label, enter the radio scene and win a Grammy.

"Being on the road singing is the only life I know," she said. "In my opinion, you need to aim for greatness. Take your dream as far as you can."


Upcoming Appearances! *Check Shevy out at Country Thunder in Wisconsin a country music festival celebrating the gift of music!

Recommended Songs! (Again, they're all great!!)
Album: "Blueprint"
*Blueprint
*Kiss in a Stolen Truck
*Blow Me Away
*Red Rock Road (My Ultimate Fave of hers!)
*Linger Longer
*Motorbike

Album: "September Songs"
*Homespun
*Heavy Rotation
*September Song
*Born To Be
*Left Hand Lane
*Hummingbird

*Extras! Hard to Find Songs!
*Debris
*Hazelnut Coffee

*Stayed tuned for next time's Spotlight of the Day: KT Tunstall!

Other recommended sites to check out!
www.ticketsnow.com (Grab your concert tickets now!)
http://itonlytakesaspark.blogspot.com
http://abackstageproduction.blogspot.com
http://tuningin2music.blogspot.com


No comments: